Ormskirk Market Day

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

John Wright 1 year 2 months ago #192

• Judy Molesworth
  • Judy Molesworth's Avatar Topic Author
Further to my last e-mail re Mary Halsall - Mary's husband was John Wright, and I have the same problem with him!!John's father, another John, was baptized at St Cuthbert's, North Meols on 24 February 1811 to Peter Wright & Pegy. I can find no marriage for Peter Wright to a Pegy and no death for Pegy. The Peter Wright that would fit was born in1791 to Richard and Alice, and married Ann Marshall in 1812. On the 1841 census, 30 year old John is a Shoemaker living in Ormskirk with his family. Again any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

John Wright 1 year 2 months ago #196

Pegy was a nickname for someone baptized Margaret. Try looking for a marriage of Peter Wright to a Margaret.. Likewise look for a death of a Margaret Wright.

John Wright 1 year 1 month ago #198

• judith Molesworth
  • judith Molesworth's Avatar Topic Author
Yeap! Did all that! J

John Wright 1 year 1 month ago #199

When people were truly poor, a rich relative, who owned a grave, might allow poor relatives to be buried in their plot. My own Grandmother is in her brother-in-law's plot as he only had a wife but no children so there was space that would not be used. As previously, you needed "spare" money to afford to have a grave and even more money to afford a headstone (& even more money for extra names to be added). This could result in someone being buried in another graveyard. In the canal families, a child died in Salford but was buried in Burscough (but that was in the 1900's). I know this doesn't really help your search but, if there is no note as to burial place in the written records, you may be unable to solve the riddle.
Time to create page: 0.097 seconds

Ormskirk Church
Ormskirk Parish
Church

Ormskirk railwaymen 1908
Ormskirk Station

Scarisbrick Hall 1815
Scarisbrick Hall

Skelmersdale Station
Skelmersdale
Station

Moor Street market